January 4 is the fourth day of the year. There are 362 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 1698 – Most of the Palace of Whitehall in London, the main residence of the English monarchs, was destroyed by fire.
- 1847 – Samuel Colt sold his first revolver to the United States government.
- 1865 – The New York Stock Exchange opened its first permanent headquarters at 10-12 Broad near Wall Street in New York City.
- 1885 – The first successful appendectomy was performed by William W. Grant on Mary Gartside.
- 1896 – Utah was admitted as the 45th U.S. state.
- 1972 – Rose Heilbron became the first woman judge to sit at the Old Bailey in London. #judiciary #firsts #herstory
- 1975 – Elizabeth Ann Seton became the first American-born saint. #religion #saints #herstory
- 2007 – The US Congress convened, and elected Nancy Pelosi as the first woman Speaker of the House in U.S. history.
- 2010 – The Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building at 2,273 feet was officially opened in Dubai.