January 24 is the 24th day of the year. There are 342 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 1848 – James Marshall found gold at Sutter’s Mill, near Sacramento, setting off the California gold rush.
- 1857 – The University of Calcutta was formally founded.
- 1916 – In Brushaber v. Union Pacific Railroad, the United States Supreme Court declared the federal income tax to be constitutional.
- 1942 – The Allies bombed Bangkok, leading Thailand to declare war against the United States and United Kingdom.
- 1965 – Winston Churchill, soldier, politician, historian, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and 1953 Nobel laureate in Literature, died.
- 1972 – Japanese soldier Shoichi Yokoi was found hiding in a Guam jungle 27 years after the end of World War II.
- 1984 – The first Apple Macintosh went on sale.
- 2003 – The US Department of Homeland Security officially began operation.