January 29 is the 29th day of the year. There are 337 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 1845 – The Raven was published in the New York Evening Mirror, the first publication of Edgar Allan Poe.
- 1861 – Kansas was admitted as the 34th U.S. state.
- 1886 – Karl Benz patented the first successful gasoline-driven automobile.
- 1891 – Liliuokalani was proclaimed Queen of Hawaii, its last monarch.
- 1900 – The American League was organized in Philadelphia with 8 teams.
- 1916 – Paris was first bombed by German zeppelins during WWI.
- 1936 – The first five inductees into the Baseball Hall of Fame were announced.
- 2005– The first direct commercial flights from mainland China (from Guangzhou) to Taiwan since 1949 arrived in Taipei.