January 15 is the 15th day of the year. There are 351 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 1559 – Elizabeth I was crowned Queen of England in Westminster Abbey, London.
- 1759 – The British Museum opened.
- 1777 – New Connecticut (present day Vermont) declared its independence.
- 1844 – The University of Notre Dame received its charter from the state of Indiana.
- 1870 – A political cartoon for the first time portrayed the Democratic Party with as a donkey.
- 1936 – The first building to be completely covered in glass, built for the Owens-Illinois Glass Company, was completed in Toledo, OH.
- 1943 – The world's largest office building (at the time), The Pentagon, was dedicated in Arlington, VA.
- 1967 – The first Super Bowl was played in Los Angeles, California. The Green Bay Packers defeated the Kansas City Chiefs 35-10.
- 2001– Wikipedia, a free content encyclopedia, went online.