March 5 is the 65th day of the year. There are 301 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 1616 – Nicolaus Copernicus’ book De revolutionibus orbium coelestium was banned by the Catholic Church.
- 1770 – Five colonists, including Crispus Attucks, an African-American, were killed by British troops in Boston.
- 1836 –Samuel Colt made the first production-model revolver, the .34-caliber.
- 1868 – The impeachment trial of President Andrew Johnson began.
- 1872 – George Westinghouse patented the railroad air brake.
- 1882 – Great Britain’s first electric trams began service in east London.
- 1942 – US Navy Seabees were established.