March 11 is the 71st day of the year. There are 295 days remaining until the end of the year.
March 11 is Johnny Appleseed Day in the United States.
- 1702 – The Daily Courant, England’s first national daily newspaper, was published for the first time.
- 1824 – The US War Department created the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- 1851 – The first performance of Rigoletto by Giuseppe Verdi occurred in Venice.
- 1867 – The first performance of Don Carlos by Giuseppe Verdi took place in Paris.
- 1888 – The Great Blizzard of 1888 began on the US eastern seaboard, killing more than 400.
- 1955 – Sir Alexander Fleming, Scottish biologist who discovered penicillin and won the 1945 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, died. He was born in 1881.
- 1983 – Pakistan successfully conducts a cold test of a nuclear weapon.
- 1993 – Janet Reno was confirmed by US Senate as the first female US Attorney General.
- 1999 – Infosys became the first Indian company listed on the NASDAQ stock exchange.
- 2002 – James Tobin, American economist & 1981 Nobel laureate, died. He was born in 1918.
- 2006 – Michelle Bachelet was inaugurated as first female president of Chile.
- 2011 – An earthquake measuring 9.0 in magnitude strikes 81 miles east of Sendai, Japan, triggering a tsunami that killed thousands of people. This event also triggered the second largest nuclear accident in history, and one of only two events to be classified as a Level 7 on the International Nuclear Event Scale.