Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Four "dous" Words

Did you know there are only four words in the English language that end in "dous." Think about it. Only four. Do you know them?


The Four “dous” Words

Those words are tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous. I admit I didn’t know there were only four words ending in “dous.” I also admit that I’d never given it any thought.


Challenge for MeW

Having learned of this arcane fact, I had to do something with it, of course. So I decided to challenge myself to use the four words in a single sentence. I quickly figured out that these are four words I seldom, if ever, use in ordinary conversation. Perhaps I should, though.


It wasn’t as hard as I thought it might be to create a single sentence. After all, I call myself a writer and a wordsmith. What would have been embarrassing, would be if I had been unable to create a single sentence with all four words in it.


While my creation isn’t great prose, there is an inner satisfaction in being able to use the four words to create. Of course, I don’t kid myself . If I had failed this challenge, I wouldn’t be blogging about it.


My Sentence with the “dous” Words

This is what I came up with


The tremendous effort of creating horrendous, but stupendous prose.was hazardous to my health.


Challenge for You

Your turn. Try it. Come up with a sentence using all four words, without making them into adverbs. Share it with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment