February 11 is the 42nd day of the year. There are 324 days remaining until the end of the year.
February 11 is National Inventor’s Day in the United States.
- 1752 – Pennsylvania Hospital, the first hospital in the US, was opened by Benjamin Franklin.
- 1794 – First session of the US Senate was open to the public.
- 1826 – The University of London was founded.
- 1938 – BBC Television produced the world's first Science Fiction television program.
- 1941 – The first gold record was presented to Glenn Miller for Chattanooga Choo Choo.
- 1953 – President Dwight Eisenhower refuses a clemency appeal for convicted Soviet spies Ethel and Julius Rosenberg.
- 1973 – The first release of American prisoners of war from Vietnam took place.
- 1978 – The People’s Republic of China lifted a ban on works by Aristotle, William Shakespeare, and Charles Dickens.
- 1990 – Nelson Mandela was released from prison after 27 years as a political prisoner.
- 2011 – The Egyptian Revolution culminated in the resignation of Hosni Mubarak.