Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving

I’ve been planning this blog post for a couple of months. I’m still not sure what all I want to say.


While I have much to be thankful for: health, loving friends and family, pets who bring me joy, and so much more; I’m aware of the legions who don’t have any of these things. These are hard times for so many of us.


Thanksgiving, like so many other things in our world, seems to have changed over the course of the years. It’s more a gateway into a frenzy of mass consumerism that only ends when the stores close on Christmas Eve. Even in these hard economic times, you can practically feel people salivating over “Black Friday,” the ultimate consumer holiday.


Perhaps if we all took a moment before getting out of bed on Thanksgiving morning and whisper what is good in our lives, all that positive energy will move the world into a different place where everyone one is safe, everyone is loved, everyone has enough, and no one goes to bed hungry, hurt, or humiliated.


Wishful thinking perhaps. Hope does springs eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment