Thursday, August 4, 2011

Older Dog Wisdom: Tux 25 - Kept Waiting


A while ago, I was celebrating my birthday with family and friends. I arrived home an hour after Tux’s regular dinner time. Tux was not waiting for me at the door when we entered the house. “Uh oh,” I thought, “I’m in big-time trouble if Tux isn’t here to greet me.” 
Luckily, I looked down before stepping into the house. There on the small rug in front of the door lay my watch. Examination of the watch showed that the leather strap was intact, the watch was still running, and, in fact, there was no damage at all to the timepiece. 
I took the fact that the watch was put in a place where I was sure to see it as a not-so-subtle hint that I was late. Who knew Cocker Spaniels were as bad as humans about not liking to be kept waiting? 
I’m sure I didn’t tell them we’d be home by dinner time because I knew we were going to be later than that. I have to admit that I do try to be home when it’s time to feed Tux and his sister, Grace. I’ve been able to do that regularly for most of their lives. So the first time I miss a dinner date with Tux and Grace, I get chastised. 
Lessons Learned and a Rant
As I sit here thinking about this, I have to wonder why it is that Tux understands the importance of being on time, but the majority of humans think nothing of keeping you waiting. Not too long ago, I had to wait nearly three HOURS for a doctor who was “running a little behind,” according to her staff. If the appointment hadn’t already been changed twice before, I would have left after the first half hour ticked by.
One of my pet peeves, and, apparently, Tux’s as well, is to be kept waiting. If someone says they can meet me at 10:00, I expect to see them at 10:00 - not 10:15 nor 10:30 or later. I no longer wait more than 10 minutes for non-medical people. I will wait 30 minutes for medical people before asking to reschedule the appointment. I always ask for the first appointment of the morning figuring the doctor is more likely to be on time for that one (although once, after traveling 8000 miles to see a doctor, I was kept waiting for nearly an hour for the first appointment). 
What is wrong with people? Why is it that you think your time is more precious than mine? Don’t agree to be somewhere at a particular time if you have no intention of being there when you said would.

Yes, there are unforeseeable circumstances that might make someone late. However, in this day and age of smart phones, etc., a phone call saying you're running late might go a long way.

Being late is just plain rude. It tells me that you think your time is more valuable than mine. That’s nothing more than arrogance. 

For the record, I haven't been late for Tux's dinner since his gentle reminder that I should practice what I preach. Lesson learned.

Tux is sitting next to me and I swear he murmured, “You go, Mom!”

No comments:

Post a Comment